Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Problems with Vertical-Horizontal Integration!

So after a busy last few days I finally got started on the vertical and horizontal movement studies. I worked through the 1st 3 lines (going from Gm7 to Abm7 to Am7, and then stopping on the first note of Bbm7).

I must admit, I'm not particularly stoked about continuing. It's not that the lines aren't good - it's just that so far it doesn't appear that this next part of the book really develops the lines that went before. What I expected was, "Here's how to connect the previous lines." What I'm seeing is, "Here are some new lines that sometimes incorporate a little bit of the prior lines."

Obviously it's too early to tell if this is true. With every method I think the student reaches the point where they have to decide whether they'll submit to the method and press ahead or abandon it. I'm gonna at least learn this first study.

I'm also going to keep learning single lines. I have the Creative Force material, so I started learning Exercise 23. Because learning these lines tends to blur over into how I approach note choice and fretboard movement, there's a lot of payoff to learning the lines. I think if I learn even 1 line (from Creative Force) for every week of the year I'll end up with 52 solid lines that will probably impact my playing/jazz vocabulary greatly, so that's an attractive option.
Anyhow, back to life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment