Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Purpose of Blog

Howdy internet!

If you're like me you've probably got quite a few jazz improvisation method books lying around your domicile. Also, if you're like me, you've probably never gone through even one of them, A-Z, front to back, doing the prescribed exercises. I think I made it about halfway through the Mickey Baker book before abandoning it, I've picked and chosen my way through Green's comping books, and never quite persisted through all the Berkeley stuff. In a way, it didn't matter, because I was fortunate to take classes on theory and participate in ensembles that ended up developing the same material anyhow.

But... playing lines after the fashion of Pat Martino hasn't been something that's come naturally. It occurred to me the other day that since I play guitar as a hobby I had the luxury to perform a little experiment. What if I actually went through some of Martino's teaching materials and really learned it the way it was presented?

This blog is that experiment. I can't promise I'll stick with it. But if I do, then maybe I can document what worked for me, what didn't, and whether or not these materials can actually pay the dividends one hopes for.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment